It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 8   [ 73 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 am 
iPi Soft

Hi!

Quote:
how I can take single pictures with this camera

If you use iPiRecorder, you can right click on camera image and choose the only context menu item. As a result you obtain current camera image in your clipboard. Just paste it in your favorite image editor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:32 am 

Dang! I missed that.. :) Thanks man! in the end i downloaded yawcam which did the job nicely. calibration seemed to work without a hitch..

Cheers,

Will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 am 

Braydinio wrote:
Does anybody know how I can take single pictures with this camera...

Hi,

Are you trying to determine the FOV for the PS3 Eye camera? You shouldn't need to calibrate the lens for this device as the FOV is already known. Just use the default setting in DMC, which I think is 70. I'll have to check, but if you're in a hurry the value is listed elsewhere in these forums.

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:04 am 

Hello,

Yes that's right, I see what you're saying alright, good point.. can't hurt though can it, having now done it already? When you say default setting in DMC, what do you mean by DMC? I'm not familiar with this term..

I'm trying out just one camera at the minute to familiarize myself with the set up procedure settings and what not, I have 2 more on stand by if all goes reasonably well, I'm also only interested in capturing upper body movement as I've limited space .. do you think this might be problematic?

Cheers dude!

Will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 am 

Braydinio wrote:
...what do you mean by DMC? I'm not familiar with this term.

iPi Studio has two parts (three if you include the calibration program, which, as I mentioned, you absolutely don't need to use if you have PS3 Eye cameras. All Calibration will tell you is that the FOV is 75 which we already know.) The first is Recorder and the second is Desktop Motion Capture or DMC for short.

BTW, I said earlier that the FOV for a PS3 Eye was 70, but then I looked back to page 3 of this forum and read that the FOV is 75. If your FOV setting was changed to something else, set it back to 75.

Re: Using one PS3 Eye camera, I think this will technically work in the program but it probably won't produce very useable results. A single camera simply doesn't give you enough depth information for reliably tracking the human body. You'll do better with three, but results are much better with four.

FYI, you might want to read (or re-read) the posts from the beginning of this forum; there's some useful information here that will save you from wasting too much time. The Tutorials forum is good too, though some of the info there may be out of date by now. And of course, you should review the two iPi Studio tutorial slideshows mentioned at the top of that forum.

Hope this helps. :)

G.

Edit: Make sure the lens of your PS3 camera is set to the 'wide' (blue dot) setting. This gives you 75 FOV. The other setting is 56, which is narrower and less useful for recording for iPi DMC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:24 am 

Thanks again for being patient, it's all sparkly and new to me, but you're absolutely right the forum here is great, I'm picking up a fair amount info from other peoples experiences and I've read the tutorials and find the one by Ian, to be the one I'm referring to the most now..

I'll set up two cameras then and see what I get.. I'm slightly concerned with the calibration process with the Maglite, it seems a lot depends on how thorough/how this is done, so it might take a few goes to see the effect of the differences... as I was saying I'm only looking to capture upper body as I've limited space, ie sat at my dest.. hope the software can cope with me and my messing.. :)

Anyhow thanks again!

Will.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 am 

Braydinio wrote:
Thanks again for being patient....

...I'm only looking to capture upper body as I've limited space, ie sat at my dest.. hope the software can cope with me and my messing.. :)

Sure! I depend on a lot of helpful users here myself. :)

I may be wrong about this but I'm not sure the system will work that way. Even if you're only capturing the upper body, I think the system still needs to see the whole body to recognize it. It might work, but I'm not sure I've seen anybody do this before. Hopefully somebody from iPi Software will jump in on this discussion soon with better information.

G.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:23 am 

Hey man,

Yeah, I'm coming to that conclusion now myself, cameras need to be a fair bit back so I'm in full view in all of them .. So, I'm now going to set up in a dedicated space with 3 cameras. If I'm sat on a stool and not walking about the place how important do you
think the floor is in terms of the calibration part of the process?

Nice one for jumping in on this btw..

Will.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 am 

Hey guys, I just ordered 4 of these cameras and I'm waiting for them to show up. In the meantime, though, somebody told me that their recording at 640x480 requires greater bandwidth than USB 2.0 can deliver. Is this going to be a problem, and if so what can I do about it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:56 pm 

TH98 wrote:
Hey guys, I just ordered 4 of these cameras and I'm waiting for them to show up. In the meantime, though, somebody told me that their recording at 640x480 requires greater bandwidth than USB 2.0 can deliver. Is this going to be a problem, and if so what can I do about it?

USB 2.0 has enough bandwidth for 640x480 at 60fps. You can attach two PS3 cameras per USB 2.0 controller, and most modern computers have two controllers. (Don't confuse controllers with ports...see the wiki for more info.) If you need to add more cameras (up to six,) you will need to add more USB 2.0/3.0 controller cards. (I recommend 3.0 because it's backward compatible for USB 2.0 devices.)

For high quality recording, bandwidth issues are most likely to come from using a 'slow' device for video storage. It's recommended that you capture iPi video data to a RAID or SSD. I've used an external eSATA RAID I built using two laptop drives and this works fine for four cameras. I recently upgraded to an internal SATA SSD which is fast enough to capture from six cameras.

You can capture data from four cameras to slower drives if you set iPi Recorder for lower resolution or lower framerate.

Other factors may affect capture performance, but for the most part this covers bandwidth considerations. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

G.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 8   [ 73 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next