It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: What's better ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:43 am 

3x PS EYE or 1x kinect ?

Thx 4 rply.

Post subject: Re: What's better ?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:30 pm 

That's a good question. In general, for PS3 Eye, it's recommended that you use a minimum of four cameras, not three. But if you insist on three, here's what to consider:

1. Three PS3 cameras are a little cheaper than a single Kinect.

2. Three PS3 cameras still give you a little more coverage than a single Kinect.

3. The Kinect is a lot easier to set up and use. For example, the PS3 setup requires even lighting; technically the Kinect does not require any lighting. Also, the Kinect does not require calibration.

4. A three camera PS3 setup will probably require more space than a Kinect, but not much more.

5. Clothing considerations for PS3 Eye are more important than with the Kinect.

Now by 'better', if you mean quality, that depends on the action and how much effort you want to put into it. My guess is that three PS3 cameras will allow you to capture a slightly wider range of motions. I'm not sure if the results will be more or less 'jittery' because of using less than the recommended minimum number of cameras (I've always used a minimum of four cameras.)

Of course if you're going to limit your motions to only what you can do with a Kinect anyway, then the Kinect is probably a better choice.

If however you use four PS3 cameras instead of three:

1. The cost of four PS3 Eye cameras is about the same cost of a single Kinect.

2. Quality will definitely be better, assuming you light well and wear the proper clothing.

3. Capturing from four PS3 Eye cameras probably takes a more powerful computer.

FYI, for Little Green Dog projects, my wife and I use both systems. In brief, we use a six camera PS3 Eye system for complicated actions, and we use the Kinect in our living room for simpler actions. I wouldn't say one system is necessarily better than the other because we use each system for different types of motions. Technically, we could do all our motions using the PS3 Eye setup but the Kinect has allowed us to produce certain types animation much more conveniently and quickly.

Hope this helps.

G.

P.S., I forgot to mention that if you get the version of iPi Studio that supports four PS3 Eye cameras, the Kinect support is included in that version. Of course, the cost of the software is more than Express, so at this point it really depends on how much you want to spend. IMO, if you're going to get iPi Studio Basic, you may as well get four PS3 Eye Cameras.

P.P.S, the software is upgradeable, so you can start out with Express (Kinect only) and move up to Basic or Standard (PS3 Eye and Kinect support) when you feel you need something more advanced. Be advised that this path is a little more expensive but at least you're not immediately committed making the PS3 Eye system work for you. (Believe me, it's a nicer system but it's definitely a bigger commitment than the Kinect.)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]