Change font size
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 6:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: USB Cable extender
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:28 am 

Hi,

I'm switching to the 2 Kinects and if things work out as I expect Il'' move to the 6 cams, but I wonder about USB extenders because USB cable normally can't be more than 5m. Will a solution like the last one on this page work?

One other thing: in your experience the 2 Kinects can give a result similar to the 4 cams?

Cheers,
Pino

Post subject: Re: USB Cable extender
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:41 pm 

I use repeater cables with my dual kinect setup. One cable extends the length 16ft + the Kinect cable, and the other is daisy-chained to extend to 32ft + the Kinect cable. The signal is strong and steady with these cables. Here's the type I use:

GWC 16.4 ft. USB 2.0 Repeater Cable Model AR2500- 5M

They're supposed to be good for up to 25m. I haven't tested it for that length but you'll probably never need it that long. I own a bunch of these repeater cables because I also use them for the PS3 Eye setup and have found them to be very reliable. Luckily they're relatively cheap (about $11.)

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:16 pm 

Greenlaw wrote:
I use repeater cables with my dual kinect setup. One cable extends the length 16ft + the Kinect cable, and the other is daisy-chained to extend to 32ft + the Kinect cable. The signal is strong and steady with these cables. Here's the type I use:

GWC 16.4 ft. USB 2.0 Repeater Cable Model AR2500- 5M

They're supposed to be good for up to 25m. I haven't tested it for that length but you'll probably never need it that long. I own a bunch of these repeater cables because I also use them for the PS3 Eye setup and have found them to be very reliable. Luckily they're relatively cheap (about $11.)

Hope this helps.

G.

Can you give me some real photos of your connection? Especially computer area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 am 

yjcnbnbnb200 wrote:
Can you give me some real photos of your connection? Especially computer area.

The repeater cable has two different connectors. At one end is a typical USB connector--plug this end into your computer. On the other end is a small box with a USB port--plug your Kinect in here. If you need more length, just daisy-chain a second repeater to the first one and attach the Kinect to that one. That's pretty much it, it's really not that complicated.

Right now I attach one repeater between the computer and one Kinect (16ft cable + 6ft Kinect) and two repeaters for the other Kinect across the living room (16ft + 16ft + 6ft), and the video signal is still very strong--no dropped frames or otherwise lost data. You can more or less see the setup in this video:

Mocap Test with Small Child (1m tall)

If you look along the floor you'll notice something shiny along the right in Camera 1 and along the left in Camera 2--those are the cables.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]