Change font size
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 pm 

Hello, currently I have 1 Kinect and 3 ps eyes, I'm sure someone has tried both 2 kinects and 4 or 6 is eyes and I wondered how you find them, which Di you prefer and what advantages do the eyes give over Kinect which are a nice easy setup. Is there much difference? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 am 
iPi Soft

Suppose you can find answers here: http://wiki.ipisoft.com/Editions_Comparison

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:22 am 

You can find more detailed answers elsewhere in these forums but here's the difference in a big nutshell:

Four to Six PS3 Eye Cameras
    Higher framerate for more accurate captures
    Larger capture space for bigger motions (20 x 20 ft)
    Least susceptible to occlusion issues
    Setup and calibration is more complicated than with twin Kinect
    Some special clothing (color+style) and lighting considerations

Twin Kinect
    Easy to set up and use
    Can be used in a smaller environment
    Capture space is small (7 x 7 ft)
    Susceptible to some occlusion issues
    Minor clothing and environment considerations

Single Kinect
    Easiest configuration - no calibration required
    Can capture using almost any computer
    Most susceptible to occlusion issues

If you have Basic or Standard you can use either Kinect or PS3 Eye with the same license/software. Express works with a single Kinect only.

Twin Kinect can be used in two modes: 90 and 180 degrees. I prefer 90 degrees--in my experience accuracy seems better and occlusion has not beena major issue. This may depend on the motion you're trying to capture. I use twin Kinect for most of my mocap.

PS3 Eye produces the best results. I use this configuration for special situations because it is more involved to set up and use than Kinect.

All configurations use the same tracking system which is fairly easy to use with a little practice. When tracking, a modern graphics card, like Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 or higher is highly recommended. You may need extra cables to use any of the configurations--USB Active (aka, 'Repeater') cables is also highly recommended.

iPi Recorder and iPi Studio can be installed on different computers. For example, it is possible to record offsite using a laptop, then go back to your studio and track the motion using a desktop with a good graphics card.

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:22 am 

Great reply thanks for that, I currently have 3 ps eyes, and 1 Kinect and basic ipi and I an upgrading to basic and wondered if I should get another ps cam or Kinect, I think ill buy both and like you, use the eyes for complex ones as it involves moving my pc from my bedroom to livingroom for more space. 6 would be great but the full version ill hold back on, least for now.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:31 am 

I really like two Kinects because it's so easy to use. I became even more convinced about this configurtion when I discovered I was able to track my five year old daughter in this example:

http://bit.ly/HFd5oJ

I was certain that some her motion was going to be impossible to track but iPi Studio came through just fine. In the clip you can still see three points where it misses the track--when she gets too close the sofa, her knee pops inward, and her right arm is clearly mis-tracked at the very end of the motion--but these errors were easy to fix even within iPi Studio.

But, yes, there's comfort in having the PS3 Eye configuration available for the really tough stuff. :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:55 am 

that is tracking very well! thanks for the example, i cant see me doing anything more complicated than that so im sure 2 kinects are fine!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]