Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: multi camera
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:21 am 

i have 3 webcams and i want to use them for my mocaps but the only problem is they are all different from each other and one is built in is it possible to still do animations or can i just use 2 cams and if so how to do it.

Post subject: Re: multi camera
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:54 pm 
iPi Soft

Hi

At least 3 webcams are needed for mocap with iPi Studio. 2 webcams give too little data to perform quality motion tracking. In opposite, depth sensors like MS Kinect or ASUS Xtion give more useful data, so relatively quality mocap can be done using only 1 sensor.
The recommended camera is Sony PS Eye - it is relatively lowcost (below $40), and has good specs (frame rate up to 60fps). You can use different cameras if they meet the following requirements:
    * They all support the same video mode - equal resolution and frame rate
    * They have stable frame rate at not less than 15fps
Please note that general purpose webcams, especially built-in ones, often have instable and low frame rate, and this significantly reduces quality of motion tracking.

Post subject: Re: multi camera
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:20 am 

As an iPi DMC users, I'd like to offer my own advice: I highly recommend sticking with Kinect or PS3 Eye cameras. These devices are high quality and they are known to work well with iPi DMC. The inexpensive PS3 Eye, for example, has a high framerate (60fps) and high enough resolution to capture motion in a large space (20ft x 20ft). And while the Kinect is more costly per device, you only need two of them for full 360 degree capture. Considering what alternative motion capture systems cost, the total cost of iPi DMC and either of these video gaming devices is a bargain by comparison.

Trying to make 'non-standard' devices work with iPi DMC is certainly possible but the process may prove to be unnecessarily complicated and frustrating. Trust me, you'll be happier and more productive using the the above devices.

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]