Change font size
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

Hi,

I was able to get very good mocap results today, with two Kinects cameras facing each other. Calibration was very easy, and the result is not far from what I need. Maybe 2 more PS Move controllers on the hands, one more on the head (when supported by IPISoft), and it will be perfect.

I have read (and noticed) Kinects cameras are quite forgiving. I have tried different light levels, and it simply worked. But I'm pretty sure there are optimal conditions, even for Kinects cameras. Does anyone have something to share maybe?

- Light? Close all the windows? Light up the actor with a light source?
- Environment? Surround the surface with white foam plates maybe?
- Clothes? Special clothes with multiple colors, that fit? A beany? With or without glasses?

Thanks!

Philippe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:09 am 

Hey Philippe

As far as I understand it ensuring the best results relies upon accommodating the IR.

Light - You obviously don't want to be capturing in the dark but you also don't want over exposure. When working with other Kinect capturing software like Faceshift I use diffuse lighting which also seems to work great for IpiSoft. You can find a great tutorial on creating diffuse lighting here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7PPWtmbtjk

Creating a diffuse light helps to soften the harsh termination lines you may run into when trying to add light sources from say a point lamp or construction lights.

Environment - Reflective surfaces are a no go as they will bounce the IR and not give accurate data.

Clothing - Nothing baggy and nothing black as I believe it will absorb the IR rays. Relatively tight (not body hugging) attire is fine. Just remember its all about silhouette, if you give off an inaccurate silhouette chances are you will track inaccurate data.

I hope this helps

**Edit** just found this in which GreenLaw answers your exact question

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6303

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 am 

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll make some tests, and will come back with some feedback in a few days. Great answer!

Philiooe

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]