Change font size
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:22 pm 

I was wondering if someone could clarify the max volume size for a PS3 camera setup.

As I saw stated in the docs, the PS3 cameras support a max volume of 20x20 feet. Is this size based on the ps3 cameras residing on the very edge of the volume, or can the cameras extend a distance outside of the 20x20 volume?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:07 pm 

20 x 20 ft is the maximum performance space--in other words the cameras have to be positioned outside of this area to capture a space this size.

Naturally, you will need a really big space for this and it will have to be fairly well lit too since the performer will be smaller in the video. Some users have been known to shoot outdoors early in the morning or on overcast days to capture an area this big.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 am 

If you have trouble because of small capture space (like we do) one viable solution could be starting the acting outside of the cameras and ending it in the t-pose in the capture area (tracking can be done backwards, as well). We tried this with moves that require gaining some speed before they look natural. With running animation, we had to use a treadmill since nobody seems to be able to run naturally knowing they'll be hitting a brick wall at the end... :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am 

That is good to know that 20x20 is for the performance. We have a huge space with an 8 foot drop ceiling. Lighting is provided by 2+ pro full sized fluorescent light arrays, 3 fairly big windows on one wall, and several overhead fluorescent fixtures. Since calibration takes time I am looking to remove as many variables as possible from the equation.

We just measured a 20 foot diameter circle in our area. We also tried leaving a 90 inch buffer from the walls around most of the circle for camera visibility. The 90 inches is what we feel is the current minimum distance of the cameras at normal height and angled more or less straight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 am 

I work in a 8m x 8m square area and run into few issues. I would say my "sweet spot" is about a 2m square in the center.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 am 

ppe wrote:
If you have trouble because of small capture space (like we do) one viable solution could be starting the acting outside of the cameras and ending it in the t-pose in the capture area (tracking can be done backwards, as well).

That's brilliant! Thanks for the tip. :)

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]