Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:56 am 

because I only have one PC, I was thinking about trying to use ipisoft with just one Kinect motion sensor. does anyone still do that?

or does anyone have ideas on how to get two kinects working on a single PC?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:48 pm 

v1 or v2? They're used a bit differently with iPi Mocap Studio. Currently I use up to three v1 devices, but recently I've been gearing up to use four v2 devices with Mocap Studio.

Here's what I know:

One v1 with Mocap Studio works better than the typical single Kinect MS SDK setup because of the separate tracking system. You still face limitations with having a single viewpoint in that 360 motions will lose tracking due to occlusion, but it's better with Mocap Studio. Parts of 'Happy Box' were recorded years ago using the original single Kinect implementation in iPi Desktop Motion Capture 1.0, but most of it was recorded using the then experimental dual configuration. Single support has gotten better since then but dual is still much better.

Dual Kinect is a significant improvement. It supports two configurations, <90 degrees and <180. I typically use <90 because it's a bit more accurate for front facing actions. <180 however allows you to record 360 with fewer errors. Both configurations work very well for 360 degree turn arounds. (The chainsaw dance in 'Happy Box' is a good example of 360 degrees recording with dual Kinect at <90 degrees.)

I used triple for a couple of feature film effects last year and it worked well too. The quality probably wasn't much better but there were definitely fewer tracking errors to deal with.

The key advantage with v1 is that you can plug them all into a single computer.

Kinect v2 is different. It supports much higher resolution which means less noise in the data. It also allows you to use up to four devices at the same time. The downsides is that you cannot connect two v2 devices into the same computer. You will need to dedicate a separate computer for each v2 device, and sync and merge the data from a Master computer (which can be any one of the up-to-four computers or a fifth computer if you wish.) Some additional considerations for v2: You'll need to buy an XBox One to USB adapter for each v2, and you'll also need to have a USB 3.0 controller for each v2 with appropriate cables. See the Kinect v2 thread for all the specs.

I haven't used Kinect v2 yet--I had hoped to this weekend but got too busy with other things. I'll likely start testing during this week though. From what I've read elsewhere (mostly posts by snapz) the v2 devices produce very good results with single or dual setups. I'll run my own comparative tests for single, dual, triple and quad soon.

Hope this helps.

G.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:44 am 

So are are there details on how to get the kinect 2 to sync/merge camera data between two computers for a dual camera setup?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 am 
iPi Soft

You should use a distributed recording feature for that.
http://docs.ipisoft.com/Distributed_Recording

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:11 am 

I Only use 1 Kinect V2 to great effect, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuMRRDGrOe8

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]