Change font size
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm 

vmaslov wrote:
I suppose they actually mean "USB 3.0 with support for PCI Express Gen 2". That means that they need the full speed of USB 3.0 spec, which is not supported by PCI Express 1.0.

Ah! That might explain the problems I experienced with the old render boxes. I think the motherboards have both types of PCI slots but the faster slot is being used by a 'Kinect-compliant' graphics card I installed, and the slower PCI slot is being used by the USB 3.0 card. I'm not certain about this but I don't think I'm going to be able to have both cards on faster slots in these computers. Maybe I can swap their positions of the cards but I suspect that won't work either...I can't check right now but I think interfaces are different. (Originally, these computers were never meant to be used for anything but rendering so, except for the processors and RAM, they're pretty bare bones. Oh, well.)

I'm not hopeful but I'll see if I can dig up the specs on these computers later just to be sure. For the time being though, I'll focus on recording with the gear I've got working now. :)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm 

Thanks for the info, I wish there was some info on exactly which card will work, I've tried three so far, admittedly one was of the Pci, the short version.
The one I have on order is one of the longer ones, that requires you to plug in the power, and can be fit in the spare grafics slot, but honestly, I just need info of one that will for sure work.
It seems to be a bit of a land mine trial and error.

They at Microsoft should have explained which type of cards work better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:48 pm 

I agree. Or maybe they should have designed the Kinect to work with a wider range of USB cards.

If I have time tonight, I'll post info about the two USB controllers that are currently working for me for Kinect One, and which cards I have that don't.

The Wacom's USB controller is built-in but I should be able to find what the chipset is. The workstation has a third-party card but it's almost as old as the computer is (maybe six years?) so I'm not sure if it's still available.

Still, maybe the info will be useful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 am 

Working cards list would be a good start.
So the one I was expecting on Monday came today, and yet again, no good. Of course I bought this before the nice ipi guys commented and informed me about needing the long card, and it being renasus, so yeah, it too doesn't work, so that's 4 cards in total I have tried.
One that I had partial success actually was reansus, I should say, it used renasus monitor for the driver install, so I assumed it would work, but actually no good.

I am starting to think that the U in usb doesn't actually mean universal, but more, Unstable.

I think I need a break from this now, pretty annoyed with myself and it all and can't seem to find a reasonably priced card that I can just afford to keep guessing at.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:30 am 
iPi Soft

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend you any specific USB card tested with Kinect 2.
Kinect 2 works on my PC with built-in Intel USB 3.0 controller (and I think most of Kinect 2 users rely on it), and it also worked with NEC USB 3.0 controller on my previous motherboard. But it does not work neither with additional Etron USB 3.0 controller on my new motherboard, nor with PCIe extension card based on VIA chip.

You may contact Microsoft support about their recommendations for specific USB extension cards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:22 am 

Thanks, I have done a little more digging, and I managed to find this link (hope you don't mind me link here)

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... inectv2sdk

It's from the microsoft forums and details specific cards that have been reported to work

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 pm 

So I said I would update when I got to try out a new usb card,
My new renasus usb card is acceptable in the kinect configuration tool, I have green ticks on everything now, but sadly I still find it unusable
I am getting 30 fps for a short time, but then it drops off to 4 and 5, and hovers around that.

I did disover that the graphics card I had recently bought (geforce gfx 1050 ti) was incompatiable with my motherboard, so I replaced it with my 8 yr old card, and got better results (around 15fps).
I took that card back, and bought a new msi card, which was actually £90 cheaper, and as I mentioned earlier, I now only get 30fps for around 20 seconds, and it flucutates too badly to be usable.

I am now done with trying to get kinect working.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 pm 
iPi Soft

Kinect SDK is using video card for some internal processing. However, from our experience any modern GPU including integrated Intel graphics is actually sufficient.
I can think when a video card works poorly for some reason (hardware conflict, outdated drivers etc.) this may lead to inadequate performance of Kinect. But I have never encountered such a situation myself.

Can it be the case that your Kinect sensor itself is defective? Do you have a chance to try with another one?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm 

Does the frame rate fluctuation occur during capture or when Recorder is idle?

Over the years I've seen that I can't trust what it reports during idle, and that the actual frame rate during capture can be steadier and much higher than when idle. I think this is because the software allows other processes to work when it's sitting idle but then it takes over completely during recording. (As it should.)

I don't know if that's what's happening on your end but hopefully that's all it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:18 pm 

The frame rate fluctuates when I use ipirecord as well as the configuration tool for kinect.
The kinect studio program actually seems steady but looks like a lower frame rate than the others.

I should mention, I bought two kinect cameras and power converters in the hopes that they would both work on my laptop (which is at least 6 year old and intel)
I can only use one kinect on my laptop, because it seems the two blue usb I have are on the same controller, so decided to build a new pc.

The new build I have should be better than my laptop, but it's still not as good in regards to kinect.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next