Change font size
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 2:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 am 

Dear IpiSoft

Everytime I try to calibrate my cameras I run into problems :(

Although i've done it several times in the past i'm sad to say it is very unpredictable and difficult to get working and i almost always need to spend 5-6 hours before I get a working solution. Using (6x) PsEYE , iPi already knows a lot of about the characteristics and parameters of this camera, the FOV and lower and higher order of distortion etc.

For example in another application (PfTrack) cameras can be calibrated relative to each other by just identifying 6 points that are common to all cameras and by fixing the FOV why does the ipi calibration need so many points? Also, generally it would be a lot easier to manually select common points from a picture taken by the cameras instead of having to make your room pitch dark and then crawl around with a flashlight, it's not very convenient and it's almost guaranteed that for new users they will make a mistake, like flashlight outside of one of the cameras, or body occluding, or some glare or reflection of the light source etc.

Also when processing the calibration video I get so many weird results like cameras that are 300 meter under the floor or, or all cameras in one point etc. Perhaps it would be good to have limiting range for what is acceptable values?

As a company I love what you do, but right now I think you should spend some more time on a more intuitive calibration method that is easier to get right. I really hope this will be easier in the future!

Thank you very much again and sorry for the complaints.

Best regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:43 am 

I got it working. It was easier this time than before, but still not trivial.
One thing i noticed though that helps is to remember to make a quite small path for the light source, this way it will not get out of frame for any of the cameras and it doesnt seem to affect the quality of the calibration. And turning off 'identify initial camera positions' also helped me.

Anyway, please remove my earlier post in this thread as its not really a feature request.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 am 
iPi Soft

No problem, we value any feedback. We hope to improve calibration in the next version. It's RnD task, and, as with any RnD, it involves a lot of work without any guarantee of success. As our Basic Edition costs over 5 times less than PfTrack, we are more limited in RnD budget. But we hope to achieve better and easier calibration anyway.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]