Change font size
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 12   [ 111 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Setting up ps3 mover
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:06 am 

Well, I think you are positioning the cameras around the clutter, but I understand it is a tight area none the less, you have to understand your situation is a bit tight the way it is, so when I state things, it would be for an optimal space, you will have to adjust cam positioning to fit your area.

The 1.35 m front cam should be the furthest back, the 2.45 m high cam above it and closer to the Actor by about 18 in - 2 ft, whatever that is in meters for you, you may have to mount them to the ceiling and walls for more view space, just a little bit helps removing a tripod from the equation in such a small room, but for now if not wanting to do that, get them as close to walls as possible.

The rear side cams need to be slightly behind the farthest point YOU can move toward the bed, if at all possible, and as high as possible, since you only have 3.45 m across, they may only see just above the top of the head when standing in place, but that's all the room you have to work with.

The 2 front angled cams should be at 2.30 m would be better maybe, set in closer to the Actor by a little, 2 ft maybe, so they can catch the arms better when by the sides and closer to the body, and other reasons as well, like to maintain some view of the face when head is bent downward in many cases.

Since your floor area is so small, you need to make sure the calibration marker light can be seen in all cams throughout, you have very little actual body and foot volume to work with, so you need to be aware of body parts not staying in frame too, except full arms up extension, you may not track that well at all, but just have to test the limitations and see.

You should get a bit more capture volume with the cam set up running square with the room, but not much.

It is hard for me to tell from just the small images of the cams, but I can see some are off centered, use the view port grid when aligning them, it helps and mark a dead standing point between all cameras on the floor, (in your case this X mark will be closer to the bed, but not up against the bed), then mark a forward limit for front cams view on the floor to set the bottom of cam 1's view port to hit that mark, or just slightly behind it toward the camera.

You are trying to get the view port grid center mark to get as close to the hips height as you can, some cams won't hit that mark, like the 2 rear cams, just get those to see as much of the head as possible, it seems you stand back when you refit your Actor, but your cams should always point to that central mark on the floor, you can stand anywhere in the visible capture area to start recording though.

Post the images after re-set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am 

Oh, almost forgot...actually, I did forget. Re: the extra pair of Move controllers, they arrived but then I got 'volunteered' in string of projects for other people, and never got to test them out. (Ugh! I need to tell people no more volunteer work...at least until later next year. I never seem to have time for my own projects anymore.)

Anyway, I charged up the new Moves over the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes in the next few days. (Still organizing the office, which might take a few more evenings. Sigh!) :)

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:26 pm 

For right now, don't even worry with the 6th cam, the high front one, the others need to be high anyway, so they will catch the feet fine.

Just get the rest to fit as much of your arms down entire body into the view ports, your floor movement area will be limited as you know, to about 1 m x 1 m at most, as the room space is right now.

If you must rotate the whole set up a bit more catty-corned to work better, then do that, nothing is set in stone as long as it will work.

Here is a basic layout that could work, based on the cam heights I specified.

Some rotation adjustment to all cams may be necessary to better work for your area.

Attachments:
Diagram funwithps3.jpg
Diagram funwithps3.jpg [ 71.18 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 pm 

Hey Snapz,

Thanks for the suggestions re: resurrecting my old computer. I did a bit of research and priced out the parts I need, and I think I can breath new life into this computer for under $600, including a new Window 10 Pro license. This is assuming my graphics card, SSD, power supply, RAM, etc. are all still working properly, which I think they are. I should be able to manage that, and I'll gain a much better computer than I had for it too. (Well, actually anything would be better since this computer is currently dead.) :)

To keep this post 'on-topic' for this forum, this could mean I can finally try a triple Kinect 2.0 capture with iPi Mocap Studio. :)

Will keep everybody posted on my progress (probably in a new thread.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 pm 

Wow! $600 you went all out huh, I7? I am guessing Gen 5 Haswell, or for that maybe Gen 6 - 6800k?

I was thinking like $250-300 max. for Mobo and CPU, but not an I7, just a USB 3.0 mobo.

You can get a Win10 Pro key for like $28 on Kinguin.net, one comp of course, but that's all you need I guess, but if want the full license, then yes, much more $$

If you got what you want, that's what matters and of course if nicely upgraded can do more with it, if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm 

Yeah, I went for an i7. I seriously thought about going with the new i5 because performance appears to be close to the old i7 I had. That would be perfectly fine for now but since I intend to keep this computer for several more years I decided I may as well give it a real upgrade. :)

Thanks for the tip about the Windows key. That should save me some money so I'll look into that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm 

I just checked Kinguin.net and think I'll go for it.

I have a question that maybe you can answer: since I'm using my old drive which already has Windows 10 on it, do you think i can just enter the new key to activate it? If so, that will be perfect...I would rather keep everything on that drive than go through the pain of reinstalling everything.

Edit: I looked up this situation and, yeah, it sounds like the existing Windows should ask me for a new activation key. Cool beans!

Edit 2: Okay, I'm reading further and, due to hardware variables, it may actually be more complicated than that, and there are no guarantees. Oh, well...it's an option anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:00 am 

Ordered the parts I needed yesterday and got the cost down to around $500 (less after the mail-in rebate.) Even better, I should have a more powerful computer than what I had before it broke. Thanks for your tips, Snapz. :)

Once I get it assembled and running, one of the first things I'll try is a triple-Kinect 2 setup. Stay tuned...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 pm 

'New' old computer is assembled and operational! I haven't tested it with iPi yet but it should be fine. I was able to preserve all my drives, including my previous OS setup, and I even added a bigger SSD. I also got a liquid cooling system, which my wife appreciates because it's so much quieter than the 'jet engine' sounds my old setup made. I did have to use my new Windows license but I kinda expected that.

Interesting note: I read that I should have been able to keep my old Windows 10 activation even after changing the motherboard. According to MS, if I have a recent Windows 10 update and a digitally signed license, it should allow me to make such changes with no problem. This didn't work for me though probably because either: 1.) my computer died before that release came out, 2.) my license wasn't digitally signed. I had an opportunity to convert to the necessary license but that didn't work for me either...I think I needed to do that when I still have my old motherboard. Oh, well...live and learn. Plus, I already had the new key ready to go anyway.

Unlike my old mobo, the new one has USB 3.0, which I'll try first with a Kinect 2. If that doesn't work, I have my old USB 3.0 card installed.

Not sure I can get to iPi testing today but I should have a new thread about recording with a triple Kinect 2 setup soon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 am 

Sounds like you have it worked out and got a pretty good machine out of the deal.

If you are interested in the Blender Grease Pencil, you should check out the 2.80 Beta release from Blender.org, they made another change to it that may benefit your work.

Video Review demo from a 2D artist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pywbPQD9vYU

Hope to see some of those triple Kv2 demos soon now :)

Good Luck!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 12   [ 111 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next