Change font size
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:56 am 

Hello. I want to ask if an Xbox One Kinect can record 360 degrees.
I ask because I came across this video that claims to be made with an Xbox One Kinect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l7QvLSbvLw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 pm 

Technically, it can. It depends on how clearly the device can see the performer's limbs so it can interpolate what it can't see. Expect to do a lot of corrections during tracking though.

Way back when a single Kinect was the only depth sensor option in iPi Mocap Studio (known as iPi Desktop Motion Capture at the time,) I did a trick where I performed facing camera and the rotated the rig in my animation program to fake the 360 turn. It can be convincing from waist but not so effective for a full body render.

Naturally, the quality for 360 turnarounds improves considerably even if add only one additional sensor. Most of the turnaround stuff I did for my personal short films and the vfx footage I created for Asylum/SyFy movies were done using two Xbox Kinects. (A few were done using 3 sensors.)

IMO, single Kinect is a good introductory system for characters that will mostly stay 'in-place'. For anything more ambitious, you'll want to move up to using at least two sensors.

These days, I'm using multiple Kinect 2 sensors, which records cleaner data than the old Xbox Kinects. I haven't posted anything new for a while though. Lately, I've been very busy recording training videos for 2D animation software but planning to record similar videos for iPi Mocap Studio and 3D animation. Maybe I can prioritize that soon.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]