Change font size
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: PSEye square setup?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 pm 

Hi. It's TJ!

I've been planning to get my mocap upgrade with 4 PSEye cameras, (Might go for 3 to start with. Idk) 4 PSEye wall mounts, 4 USB extension cables, 2 4 port USB controllers, & possibly 1 PSMove to use for calibration & on my head. (If not. Then I'll get the mini Maglite) But I've been wondering something!

I've been wanting to do a square set up for 4 PSEye cams in my room so I can make sure I get good quality tracking. So here's the set up I'm looking for

And here's the three cam setup with almost square shape!

Is these two setups ok for PSEye motion capture?

Post subject: Re: PSEye square setup?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:50 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
Looks OK. But what is the size of the room?
I'd recommend to start with 4 cameras. It won't cost much higher than 3 but usually provides substantially better tracking quality. 3 is the very minimum for situations with extremely tight budget or insufficient USB ports.
Just a reminder. For any distance longer than 3m you'll need active USB extension cables (USB repeaters).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:10 am 

vmaslov wrote:
Hi
Looks OK. But what is the size of the room?
I'd recommend to start with 4 cameras. It won't cost much higher than 3 but usually provides substantially better tracking quality. 3 is the very minimum for situations with extremely tight budget or insufficient USB ports.
Just a reminder. For any distance longer than 3m you'll need active USB extension cables (USB repeaters).

Thanks.
Currently. My family hasn't had doesn't know on how large my room should be after we move out. But I'm hoping to get a large enough room for PSEye mocap!

And about that extension cables thing, you said? That's my plan. I'm hoping to get USB extension cables pretty soon after me & my family moves out!

Just a question. Since this wall mount is unavailable at Amazon. (I mean this! https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Xbox-Kinect-Playstation-Mount-3/dp/B004V7437O) Is there any other solutions for mounting my PSEye cameras on the wall? Or is the tripod thing the only way I can do it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:06 am 
iPi Soft

Regarding USB cables I wanted to bring your attention to difference between active and passive USB extenders. Former are more expensive but allow for large distances - up to 20m in our experience. While latter are cheap but usually don't work with cameras for distances more than 3m due to signal loss.

You can use any DIY solution which fits you for mounting to walls. PS Eye cameras are pretty lightweight so something based on simple (3M) adhesive products may work. For instance, stick camera onto a small wooden block and the block to a wall.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am 

Room length is more preferred for PS Eyes, width not much of a concern, but to get a decent movement area, you will need a longer room, really about the same if you ever used Kinects in a 180 set up, so 20 ft (7 m) room length works well for a 10 x 10 ft (3 m x 3 m) capture volume, the shorter the room length lessens the front/back movement, which is more important, in my opinion.

To me personally, a square 4 cam set up isn't optimal, but I agree 4 cams should be the minimum cams used, although if you can fit 6 in your area, even better at not much added cost, unless you need a higher end graphics card to drive the tracking at faster speeds for 6 cams and it is always better to have 1 camera set much higher for better foot tracking, so even 5 cams would help.

Until you know the dimensions of the new room, it's hard to say how you can set up, everything really depends on knowing that first of all, BUT...

If you have enough room length and at least 10 ft (3 m) wide, you would be better off with a semi-circle on the front 3 cams, and one straight facing rear cam, as most actions take place in a forward facing fashion, but of course not always, so the rear cam will allow for better rear facing actions when needed.

Though if limited in room length, it would be better to not use a 4 corner placement and use a placement where you would perform nearer to a rear wall, or even using a catty corner placement in the room, with 2 cams set approx. 3 ft (1 m) off the rear/corner, (if catty corner wall), and up higher if room width is shorter, and 2 cams in front corners, or appropriate if using catty corner set up, still keeping the front cams spacing at 8 ft (2.5 m) from floor marking, this will allow you to perform off the wall to clear arms extensions on rotations when needed.

Remember you need to keep a space of min. 8 ft (2.5 m) from the edge of the floor capture volume floor mark to the camera for better view, marking floor area with a few short pieces of masking tape will help greatly and using a 3D object like a soda can, or block of wood set at exact center on the floor to get proper camera centering will help also.

If you have not used PS Eyes before in a proper room set up, there is a learning curve and there is a bit more to the set up than with Kinect sensors to get better results.

I have my cams permanently fixed to walls, and I just made some 1.5 wide x 4 in long thin aluminum and bent to an L shape, then used the 3M strips with the velcro middles (2 per cam) to hold them to the wall and used medium binder clips to hold the cam to the bracket, works perfect for very little expense, and no damage to wall when installed, or removed. (Just 1 way of many you could use to attach to a wall).

You only need USB 2.0 repeater cables, but long enough to be able to route them out of the capture volume area, 10 m (30 ft) works fine, even if camera isn't a long way from computer and you have the length already there if needed later. (Don't buy cheap cables, you will regret it!)

These are just some of my personal opinions, many ways to make it work, but you will personally need to do your own trial and error placements to best fit your area anyway, though I hope it helps.

Feel free to re-post once you get new room, with the components needed and working, I would like to see what you came up with as your set up.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 am 

My parents showed me the size of the room. So I'm not sure if I can do a square setup for 4 PSEye cameras. So I'm looking into suggestions on the ideal quad PSEye setup for this size of my bedroom once I & my family moves out! Here's the size. I'll continue with the plan once I get my setup idea situated!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:34 am 

That diagram shows the shape of the room but it doesn't really tell us the size. If you can include the measurements, that would help determine if the room is suitable.

My guess is that it's too small for a 360 configuration but might be fine for a 180 configuration. 180 still gives you good coverage for many motions and allows for a larger capture space in a small room.

I often use a 180 setup when I need the character to walk around in a larger area, and it's usually fine. With narrower visual coverage, you'll need to be more aware of how the performance is being recorded, and that Mocap Studio will be able to see what it needs, but that will come with practice.

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm using Kinect 2 these days, but back when I used PS3 Eye, I typically arranged 4 cameras in a semi-circle. It helps if the camera heights are staggered. This helps Mocap studio see a lot more of the action than when the cameras are all the same height. Staggering the heights can also help Mocap Studio figure out where each camera is located; when they're all the same exact height, Mocap Studio can sometimes get confused and mix up the positions.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am 

Yeah, probably an issue for an optimal 4 cam PS Eye set up, especially for a full arm raised motion and movement volume.

After the furniture is in place, will cut that room down even more on movement area.

I saw this video a while back using 3 PS Eyes in a small volume capture area, so you can see how the vertical view is cut down for raising arms in the cameras views.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocWBE0TTyI

It could be worked out similar in that area shown, using the recessed portion to place a side viewing camera, with the 4th cam being used as the high cam, looking more down on the area for better foot tracking and keeping as much usable acting volume as possible, but arms fully raised may still be an issue, no matter how it's set up.

It will be a definite challenge with some trial and error on camera placement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 pm 

I think you guys are right. I'll try to measure my room once me & my family moves out! But right now. I'll try to come up with the best tactic for my PS3 Eye camera setup with the shape of my new bedroom!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am 

So I did some looking into my room. And I think it's good enough for 3 PSEye mocap shots for complex motions. (Like rotations. Fighting & such) Can't say what size it is, but I'm pretty sure I can use 3 cams to do complex motions. I'm looking for feedback on this little setup to see if it's good or bad for complex motions! (I'm gonna get the cams & other equipment later. Then I will save up for the iPiSoft 1-year basic license)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next