Change font size
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 am 

Greetings there seems to be a number of Sony Playstation Move controllers that seem to work and others do not seem to work with IPI.

The playstation 3 move controller that I managed to get it working with Ipi was model number CECH-ZCM1U but when I got the Sony Playstation 3 Move controller model number CECH-ZCM2U it does not seem to work. Anybody who knows the reason why or has experienced such a thing?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 am 
iPi Soft

Hi
New PS Move models differ in hardware from the old ones, and thus behave somewhat differently. Look at this discussion
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9899
There's no solution currently to use the new devices. We plan to look into this issue in the next month.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am 

The new Moves do not contain a magnetometer, so even if you get them to pair, the data will start to drift after a while and not remain true to the actors hand/head positions, if used 1 for head.

A good way to choose an older model that has a magnetometer is by the back tag MPN number starting with a 1, or a 2 and having 12 digits, they started the change in late 3's and 4's, or higher, you may still get lucky on some higher numbers of U, or E models with magnetometer, but best to try to stay away from those higher numbers, doesn't matter if model ends in a U, or an E for this, but all G models have no magnetometer. U=USA E=Europe.

There is also J for Japan and S for Singapore, but they are very hard to come across, U and E were most abundant, but still hard to get now.

There are also models with a letter B after the U, or E, if the MPN is lower, they will work also, I have one with that B and works correctly, not sure what the B means, but I think they were bought as a factory pair, because PS3 only came with a single Move then, to get more they had to be purchased and you could get singles, or pairs.

Older models are hard to find now, but you may get lucky to find a few pairs on eBay, to get 6 for use on hands and head for 2 actors, just ask the seller to verify the numbers before you buy and they don't have to be bought as pairs, as long as these numbers start with a 100+, or 200+, (ex. 130120617553 model E is one of mine, another is 220081636582 model U) and they work flawlessly, but don't plug the dongle directly into the computer port, try to use a short cable to get it a bit away from the machine and monitor and anything putting off magnetic interference.

Hopefully this helps understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 pm 

A Pair of Moves with right numbers for magnetometer here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS3-PS4-M ... 0#viTabs_0

Another correct pair here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS3-PS4-M ... Desc=0%7C0

Pair with charger of correct model:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Sony-Plays ... 0009.m1982

A correct single here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Sony-Plays ... Desc=0%7C0

Single here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PS3-PS4-M ... Desc=0%7C0

Single here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Move-Moti ... Desc=0%7C0

Hope this helps anyone looking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:42 pm 

I currently have three that work. Feel like I should pick up a spare while I still can.

I wonder if any alternative devices exist or will be available in the future. It would be a shame to not have this capability once the supplies are gone.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm 

Well, that's kind of why I posted several I found, they will run out eventually, or to the point they will be worn out, if bought again used.

Just be sure to message the seller stating you need the exact one shown, with those tag numbers, unless they can prove they are lower numbered on the tag, if different ones than shown, if they won't show proof of being that, don't buy.

I tried to ask iPi to make and sell their own Arduino bluetooth smaller ones, should only cost about the same each also, I would have to re-look at the site, maybe a bit more, but have a magnetometer, always work with their program in the future and iPi can make the direct sale, but I don't think it is in their road map right now.

Yeah, they work very well, I wouldn't want to track an animation without them in the recorded video, makes all the difference for naturalness.

Those ones are the ones you want, if you are looking, of course they are all US sellers, I didn't check Europe, or any other areas.

The 4th link was a Bid one and is running out in 2 days 3 hours, has 2 bids on it now, I didn't pay attention it was a bid one.

There may be more available with the correct numbers, I just posted a few from US.

You can always get batteries for them after market also, if you have ones the battery has worn out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hi, I found a pair in a local used store, CECH-ZCM1E:

Second one should be OK according to your messages, do you know if 0+ starting is OK too?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm 

I believe so, any numbers below 300's should have magnetometer, I don't have an exact switch point number, but 400+ I wouldn't get for sure.

030 seems you got one from the original PlayStation lol

You will know right away, I just never saw a number that low, the 132 is fine.

Do try to get a short passive cable to get the dongle out away from the I/O shield ports, away from the machine in general really, if computer is in a different room than Moves will be used, try to get the dongle to same area with extension, but over 6 ft away may require an active repeater also.

Last edited by Snapz on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm 

Hi Snapz,

I ordered a pair of used 'backup' controllers from your list last week, but I read your last message too late and didn't confirm the advertised part number with the seller...oops! Hopefully, it will be fine.

Either way, will post here with followup info.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:19 pm 

Oh No, yeah they have several usually, so they don't know that number matters, they will work with PlayStation is all they care.

What was the first 3 numbers? And only 12 numbers?

You can use the PS3 Moves without the magnetometer, but there has been reports of severe drifting after a few seconds, but I believe those will pair with iPi, there is a screen to skip magnetometer calibration.

After you posted that, I checked all of mine and I have one I thought read 220+, but at closer look, (with glasses), it is a 520+ and I just re-added it and recorded a short test to get the video info. and it shows it has a magnetometer and is calibrated, it did go through the calibration process, guess that is why I never looked closer at the number and I have used it for recording until I was having issues with the rotations long ago, so bought some more, but found out it was what you stated before about the USB cable to get it away from machine, where I learned that from you :)

Since then it and every other works perfect.

So, either I got lucky at 520 numbers, or the switch didn't occur until after that, but still better to stay below 400+ when possible.

Last edited by Snapz on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next