Change font size
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:34 pm 

Hi there,
Is there a clothing setup designed to get the most accurate tracking results?

I'm assuming no loose clothing would be ideal, but what about visible markers on the clothing, similar to objects tracking setups on TVC/Film shoots?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:06 pm 

It depends on what type of device you're recording with.

For PS3 Eye and other video cameras, you want contrast between the arms and torso. Ideally, you want a black short-sleeved t-shirt over a color long-sleeved shirt. This separates the arms from the torso and the black color minimizes the appearance of shadows cast on the torso that can potentially confuse the tracker. For pants, blue jeans are fine. For shoes, any dark shoes or color that contrasts with the floor will be fine.

As you probably guessed, loose fitting clothing makes it difficult for the tracker to see a human shape, and it can't track what it can't see. You want to clothing to be close-fitting. It doesn't need to be 'skin tight', just a reasonably good fit. This is true for either video-based or depth-based devices.

For depth scanners, like Kinect, color is not important because the RGB stream is not used at all for tracking. You might want to avoid fully black attire, however, because flat black tends 'absorb' the IR rays and not reflect it back to the device. Conversely, avoid shiny clothing that may bounce the rays unpredictably. For the most part, 'every-day' casual clothing that's not baggy and loose fitting will be fine for depth scanner devices.

In my experience, I find that when recording with Kinect devices, iPi Mocap Studio likes 'big feet' so I wear bulky sneakers or soft boots. This seems to help for better tracking accuracy with the feet.

Hope this helps.

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:56 pm 

Ahh! Thankyou very much for the tips Greenlaw.
I have a Dual Kinect setup, not tested as yet.

I am aiming to get some good mocap of myself acting as a monkey.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:47 am 

Ha, ha! Sounds fun.

Yes, dual Kinect works quite well. I've been using this setup for several years for personal projects, and have used it for vfx in films made for SyFy channel.

There are pros and cons to using depth sensors. The pros are that that the clothing, lighting, and space requirements are not nearly as strict as with RGB video cameras, which means I can set this up and start recording in my living room in minutes. The cons are that capture quality may not as accurate as what I can get with video cameras, especially for very fast movements. But that isn't to say the quality with depth sensors is 'bad'...in fact, for many motions, the quality can be quite good, and for fast motions, I just have to do a little more supervised tracking.

Recently, I acquired a couple of Azure Kinect sensors, and I'm been working on a video that compares the quality of different sensors. I'm planning some new tutorial material too. Sadly, I'm a bit behind in this project because of my work schedule but I hope to get back on track soon.

Anyway, good luck with your own project!

Watch a one minute excerpt on Vimeo now!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]