Change font size
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 1:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:30 pm 

I just upgraded to an EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0+ PCI-e 3.0 from an MSI GTX 750 Ti OC.

I have it running on its own 500W EVGA PSU also, using the Add2PSU adapter, works great, turns both PSUs on and off together.

The processing speeds I was getting with 6 PS Eyes and (1) 750 Ti was .72 f/s @ 1.28 s/f consistent.

The tracking speed I am getting now with 6 PS Eyes and (1) 970 FTW+ are 1.28 f/s @ .82 s/f consistent, almost doubling the speed with smoother tracking outcomes.

5 cams runs 1.50 f/s @ .65 s/f ... very nice!

I happened to find a great Amazon deal on the card, brand new unopened @ $300/free 2 day shipped, so I bought it, actually I paid for the standard 970 FTW, not the plus version, but I was sent the FTW+ (with backplate) for no extra charge, that FTW+ card runs $379 with mail-in for $30 most places, so saved quite a bit.

I was very impressed to see such a large jump in the speeds, but that's what I am getting with a 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge i5 3.4GHz, a P8 Z77 V-LK mobo, with 8G (1600 MHz) RAM, I have my settings in BIOS on Auto using Turbo boost, so CPU is auto set now at 3.8 GHz.

This video card comes OC'd already at 1367 MHz and I haven't even tried to OC it yet, really no need, but I may play with it a bit and see.

Runs at a steady 70C while processing, (56C idle) on iPi Studio with fans at 32%, (fans auto-off at idle), so can't beat that, but I do have 3 other almost silent case fans and I can't hear any of them, but it does run a bit warmer than the 750 Ti, expected.

After talking to Maslov and with the recent updates, the program is more graphics card dependent now, so the better the card (to a point, I wouldn't go Titan) the better.

Next year I hope to upgrade my system with new mobo, processor/cooler, and DDR4 Ram, maybe then I will step up to the 980 Ti, have to wait until them to know though.

Just thought I would post the results from this card.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 am 

All my recording/processing is done on a 1080p 60Hz monitor, so if using a higher resolution monitor, these results won't be the same.

Higher resolution monitors would most likely want the GTX 980 Ti 6G or better, or the AMD R9 390 8G or better.

Right now the R9 390 is selling for $329, but I chose not to go with it for several reasons: (other than I got this 970 for less).

1) It's a beast 3 slot card.
2) Runs a bit hotter and louder, but has Zero Frozer fan stop also.
3) Would be hard to Cross-Fire later if you wanted to, since its so thick, but I probably won't do that with any card for the minimal gains, if any, that would be achieved. (Just step up to single better card).
4) Really wouldn't help frame rate that much on a 1080p monitor, better for 1440 or 4K, there is really no reason to use iPi on a Hi Res monitor, unless that's what you have already as a primary monitor. (this will drag down your f/s when using iPi processing, unless your video card is compatible).
5) Draws more power, if using a single PSU (600+ required), or use dual PSUs, one for just the card.
6) M/B layout and case size will matter, I don't think they have a mATX case version.
7) I didn't think it would benefit me much for the programs I run, I don't use my video card for Gaming, I do test inside several game engines, but it's not the same thing.

If you are a die-hard AMD user, it's probably a good card, if it will fit in your case/mobo config., you have good case cooling and big enough PSU already, the price is right.

Check out the reviews on it if you want to upgrade cards, it seems to be running right up with the GTX980 or 2-970s in SLI in gaming scenarios.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:18 am 

Dance video re-tracking done in Low Res setting, all boxes checked, shoulders by video, and very flex spine.

Processing: 1.85 f/s @ .54 s/f (5 PS Eye set up) Low Res option worked just as well as High Res at faster f/s rate. Refine Backward ran even faster: 1.95 f/s @ .46 s/f

(Dual Kinect v2 using Low Res were processing at 2.75 f/s @ .37 s/f (over 3.0 f/s @ .33 s/f for Refine) using depth only, I didn't try with a depth/video recording, but should be comparative).

(Resolution setting didn't have any noticeable effect on JR or Moves data application speeds, no real concern, since faster anyway).

I ran tracking, refine backward, Move data and JR in the same time it took to just track the video with the 750 Ti with Hi Res setting.

The less time it takes for the actor to align with the video, the smoother, more accurate the outcome and the 970 was able to keep it right in alignment at that speed with no more tracking loss than in Hi Res, very impressed. (I really don't get that much tracking loss anyway, I just catch it and correct it right away, then continue on). I don't batch process.

Moves used on the hands, it is visible if watched, where I was having issues with them before when this was recorded, where data would go in and out of proper positioning, this is corrected now, hasn't happened yet with the BT211 adapter and moving it closer to performer with a USB cable to limit any interference.

No head controller used, just head tracking box ON.

No manual editing done, used only auto-correction iPi tools, never exported, recorded right in iPi Studio 3 viewport.

(There is an issue when using pre-rigged custom or auto-rigged or any characters with straight spines, where the iPi skeletons lower spine bone should be more straight, it causes unnecessary belly push, especially on bending actions, as seen in the video, usually needs adjusting in a 3D editor afterwards for better appearance).

Image shows how more common skeletons are created, custom or auto-rigged, it would be nice if iPi could adjust theirs to follow suit for better appearance on most characters on export, hip bone design is not a concern, more the spine hitch and the shoulder bone (clavicle) positioning, but more so the spine hitch IMO, this of course depends on the creator of any skeleton, so it is a catch 22 there also, but most don't hitch the spine in that manner, since skin weighting doesn't depend on bone location/rotation when created, but has effect when using different Mo-Cap files.

Not a finished animation, just demonstrating results using Low Res tracking option.

Link: https://youtu.be/IKb3p5nbYy4 ... View in HD

Attachments:
File comment: More common skeleton rig
Skeleton rig.JPG
Skeleton rig.JPG [ 56.87 KiB | Viewed 4736 times ]
File comment: Most rigged characters, custom or auto-rigged are done this way.
Spine difference.JPG
Spine difference.JPG [ 38.32 KiB | Viewed 4736 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:41 pm 

To update this post, after I found the issue with the network adapter drivers for Win 10 and manually updated them, my tracking speeds now, using +75 on the Core Clock increased considerably. (no need to over clock anything but the core clock).

Tracking run with all boxes checked, shoulders by video, very flex spine and using Low Res with a 5 PS Eye set up:

Track forward at 2.20 f/s @ .47 s/f .. up to speed within 300 frames

Refine backwards at 2.47 f/s @ .40 s/f ... up to speed within 200 frames

Jitter Removal at 6.7 f/s @ .13 s/f .. up to speed within 100 frames

Runs consistently at these speeds now using recordings of at least 24 seconds or more, which is my common recordings length.

Tracking errors were minimal, I would even say less than at high res setting and slower speed.

I no longer experienced speed degradation when started and stopped tracking for some slight tracking errors incurred, sped right back up to same speed consistently.

I stopped having window opening lag when trying to Save As or opening window for export location.

I may post a full processing video to show how the GTX 970 FTW+ is actually performing, but as you can imagine, I am pleased.

I sold my Kinect v2's before I upgraded to this card, but I can only imagine how fast it would track with 2 of them, but I don't know about quality of the tracking.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]